Our History

Marano’s History

Marano’s Fuel is an independent fuel and lubricants distributor servicing farms, mines, tourism, transport, marine, and commercial industries across North Queensland.

Our History

Founders Joe and Sam Marano established Marano’s Fuel over 60 years ago. During this time, the business has grown from two people to a staff force of over 120 locals, and is one of the largest distributors of fuel and lubricants in North Queensland.

We remain locally-owned and operated and have spent the last 60 years building a reputation of dependable service at competitive prices. We are independently owned and appreciate our customers’ need for service that is consistent and high quality.

Marano's Fuel Timeline

1920
Angelo Marano migrates from Italy (province of Sicily) and eventually leases a sugar cane farm at Saltwater Creek.
1920
Late 1920s/early 1930s
Angelo brings wife Venera and other family members from Sicily back to the farm.
Late 1920s/early 1930s
1934
Salvatore (Sam) Marano is born and lives on the farm with his parents.
1934
1939
Angelo and Venera buy ½ acre at Miallo (where the main Marano’s Fuel depot still operates to this day)
1939
1940-1945
During World War 2 Angelo joins the CCC (Commonwealth Council Corporation) and works his truck on the Kuranda range and at the Cairns Airport.
1940-1945
1940s
First Marano’s service station established at Miallo.
1940s
1942
Joseph Marano is born (Angelo and Venera’s second son).
1942
1946-1947
Angelo gives up cane hauling, and he and Venera build and start a grocery shop at their Miallo property (where they operate as a family business). Angelo also becomes a sub-agent for Vacuum Oil (now Mobile).
1946-1947
Late 1947
Angelo gives up being a sub-agent for Vacuum Oil and becomes a full fuel agent with COR, where stocks were supplied from Samwel Allens in Townsville (now BP). From her the business grew.
Late 1947
1947-1957
Angelo and Venera operate the family store at Miallo.
1947-1957
1957
Sam, after working in various jobs, returns home and starts ‘Miallo Motors’, bringing Joe into the business as a 50/50 partner.
1957
1964
Sam and Joe apply for and are granted a Sugar Cane Assignment for 60 acres out of the 96 acres on their home farm. From here, they work and clear the farm to make it was it is today.
1964
1964-1980s
Joe and Sam run Marano’s Carrying Company (at this stage still with father Angelo) who passed on several years later. From here Sam and Joe expand the business further and purchase a number of sugar cane farms, including Ruderfords Farm, Bock How Farm, Grogan and Mullarvey Farm, and Kingston Farm. During this period, Joe and Sam also expand the fuels and oils distribution (BP at this stage) side of the business, with Ampol and Esso distributorships, and establishes three retail outlets.
1964-1980s
1980s
New service stations open at The Roadhouse and Wonga.
1980s
1990s
Marano’s Fuel opens new Caltex service station and Cassowary truck stop. The company leaves BP and becomes independent.
1990s
2000s
New Marano’s Fuel outlet opens at Port Douglas.
2000s
2000s
Sam and Joe Marano incorporate the third generation of Maranos into the company’s business operations, and appoint Joe’s son Angelo as Chief Executive Officer.
2000s
2010-2018
Marano’s Fuel expands with new service stations at Cooktown, Mareeba, Ravenshoe, Reef Marina, Malanda, Clifton Beach, and Draper Street in Cairns.
2010-2018
Present day
Marano’s Fuel has now expanded its network to more than 3,000 bulk customers, and a service station network of 12 service stations and growing.
Present day